Discover Dakar: Spend an immersive six weeks in the hub of West Africa–a vibrant crossroads of art, business, education, and humanitarian organizations. Follow courses taught by local professors on the campus of the Institut Supérieur de Management, share daily life with a Senegalese host family, and take part in a variety of cultural activities.
Get to Know Dakar and Prepare For Your Stay
Dakar Quick Facts
- Capital city of Senegal
- Official language: French
- Population: 1,030,594
- Currency: CFA Franc
- Average temperature: 80F
Dakar is the westernmost city in mainland Africa. A prominent city of the former French colonial empire for nearly three centuries, this francophone influence can be found in most aspects of life such as language, architecture, cuisine, and education.
Dakar is now home to several national and regional banks, NGOS, and manufacturing centers. According to the World Bank, Senegal is one of the most stable and democratic countries of Africa.
The first three days in Dakar are comprised of an orientation with APA at ACI’s Baobab Center in order to get to know your new city. This will cover:
- Preparation & Guidance: exploring cultural differences and preparing for homestays
- Health & safety overview
- Walking tour of Dakar
- Seminar on Senegal: history, geography, government, and economy
- Initiation in Wolof: learn key phrases and the practical use of this local language used in daily life
Add to your reading list: Learning to See and other short stories and memoirs from Senegal
- Airport pickup upon arrival
- Pre-departure support
- On-site support for in and outside of the classroom
- Liability insurance
- Optional: Group flight from New York City