Rapidly improve your knowledge of the French language and achieve an authentic experience powered by the vast repertoire APA has cultivated for nearly 30 years. Designed for differing language levels, our intermediate program allows students to discover Paris and take classes in French or English in a variety of fields at distinguished universities like the Sorbonne and Université Paris Dauphine.
The intermediate program is offered for a semester or academic year.
Eligibility: 2.75 GPA | Sophomore standing | 2+ semesters of French
Enroll in 1 intensive French language acquisition course and 3 university classes
Choose a homestay or independent living
Add a summer internship for a perfect resume builder
Customize your program by taking one or several classes taught in French or choose to pursue your studies in English alongside French students within the Parisian university system. Classes at our affiliate institutions are selected for the APA course catalog after carefully reviewing course descriptions, syllabi, faculty qualifications, and evaluations from previous students.
Exclusive to APA students is a one-week add/drop period to choose courses that correspond best to their needs and interests. Take up to 10 classes during this "shopping" period and choose your favorite three or four at the end of the week to keep!
The French academic calendar runs from September to mid-May and includes a one-week fall break in October, a two-week Christmas break, a one-week winter break in February, and a one-week spring break in April.
Take your pick
Students take 4-5 courses:
- →1 French language course: This course is designed to get students up to speed with their French. The first three weeks are front loaded with 75 hours. After, weekly one-on-one support sessions continue with your professor and teaching assistant for the remainder of the semester.
- France Today. This political science course discusses how the country's past politics have shaped today's current events.
- 19th Century French Painting & Sculpture. Class meets twice a week: once in the classroom, once at a museum. (Fall semester only)
- 20th Century French Painting & Sculpture. Class meets twice a week: once in the classroom, once at a museum. (Spring semester only)
-Choose your 3-4 remaining classes from a combination of the following:
→ Major-specific classes or electives at our University of Paris partner institutions. These courses may be taught in French or English.
→ APA's in-house elective courses (classes will be taught in French)
Each course receives 4 credit hours.
At the end of each semester, APA sends to each student’s home institution a:
- Transcript: includes credit hours, French grades, and their American equivalents
- Professor’s evaluation including a detailed report of the grades earned in each course
- Course descriptions and bibliographies
- Student’s academic schedule
Take full advantage of your opportunities in Paris and extend your stay to an academic year. A year-long enrollment is an incomparable asset and will provide you the chance to progress on multiple levels including language, cultural integration, personally, and professionally.
Get to know your APA peers during a three-week orientation period at the beginning of the semester. During this time, you will take an intensive French language course to prepare you for your courses and daily life in Paris. Workshops will also be conducted to learn about the French way of life and university system, take guided tours of the city and neighborhoods, and visit museums and campuses. You will also finalize your course selection for the upcoming semester.
Throughout your stay, APA provides a variety of dedicated academic and logistical support.
Academic & Language Support
- Customized weekly language support: Continue your practice in the French language beyond the initial acquisition course. Students meet individually or in pairs for 30-45 minutes each week with their professor and separately with their teaching assistant for 1 hour working on oral expression and other areas for improvement.
- Methodology workshops
- Course-specific tutoring sessions
- French proofreading sessions to review and edit a paper prior to handing it in
- Airport pickup upon arrival
- Assistance with obtaining a metro pass
- Help with buying a French cell phone, opening a bank account, or finding a doctor
- Personal liability insurance
Shape your study abroad experience in Paris with your housing choice. Stay with a carefully selected home stay and learn the routines of daily life and culture first hand. Alternatively, a French student residence offers a different way to connect with your French peers. APA can assist you in finding the right residence for you!
Student Residence: Independent living in a French student residence with partial meal plan
Homestay:With daily breakfast and one dinner per weekREAD MORE
Two times a month, students receive tickets to performances in some of the most prestigious and world-renowned venues in Paris including but not limited to the Opéra, Comédie Française, Théâtre de Chaillot, Philharmonie de Paris, Théâtre de la Ville, and Théâtre des Champs Élysées. Indulge in a cooking workshop and learn a couple of iconic French dishes!
Discover the national museums, including the Louvre, as many times as you would like with the “Louvre Jeunes” card, an unlimited museum pass.
NEW!A cooking workshop has been added to our cultural line up for the Fall 2017 semester! Learn how to prepare a classic French meal in a city known for its culinary treats.
In addition, APA takes students on exclusive trips to visit some of the major historical and cultural sites of France. Past trips include:
• Versailles (Fall & Spring)
• Chartres (Fall)
• Giverny (Spring)
• St. Malo & Mont St. Michel (Fall)
• Loire Valley (Spring)
For further immersion and integration into French life, APA offers students the opportunity to:
- Pair up with a French student for the semester who is also interested in cultural exchange
- Join an intramural sports team, dance group, chorus, or other clubs
- Become a volunteer assistant in an elementary or high school, helping the teacher or providing English conversation classes two to four hours per week
- Volunteer in a non-profit organization
Students studying for the academic year or spring semester with APA have the opportunity to extend their stay by participating in an internship with our partner program, Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE).
Students choosing this option complete a two month, full-time professional summer internship following their time with APA in their preferred industry. Since internships take place in a French language work environment, students must be able to demonstrate a sufficient language level.