APA is looking forward to the Forum on Education Abroad Annual Conference
Four days of professional development and networking with international higher education's movers and shakers will take place at the Forum on Education Abroad's annual conference March 28-31, 2017 in Seattle, WA. Three members of APA: Director and Founder Claire Suraqui, Assistant Director Lindsay Turlan, and University Relations & Marketing Manager Monika Markley will in attendance.
Share what Paris and the Francophone language and culture mean to your university and students and chat with us over a cup of coffee or glass of wine. Take a look at the schedule below and choose a time and day that is most convenient for you. You will receive a complimentary email reminder.
APA announces new rebate for George Washington University students
Incoming Fall 2017 and 2017-18 Academic Year students from George WashingtonUniversity are now eligible for the new APArrival Rebate. This exclusive arrangement provides a deposit rebate in the amount of $500.00 to offset the initial costs of arriving in Paris such as textbooks and course materials and meals outside of room & board selection.
"The students from George Washington University that come to APA Paris are an enthusiastic, globally-conscious collective who richly add to our group dynamic year in and year out." said Monika Markley, University Relations and Marketing Manager. "APA has been a long-standing program provider with GW and the APArrival Rebate is a way for us to continue our commitment to the GW community and to study abroad in Paris."
The APArrival Rebate is applicable to all matriculated GW students who will be studying with APA Paris. No additional application is required. The $500.00 deposit rebate will be issued in US dollars to the student's specified US address during the first week of the program and can be applied to out-of-pocket expenses that are not included in the program fees.
APA is coming to your campus
Never been on a plane before? Is your passport an extension of your hand? No matter if it will be your first time out of the country or your 100th, questions are certain to arise when traveling outside of the States. APA will be visiting college campuses across the US this spring to speak with students and answer questions they have about our programs and the study abroad process. Check back often as universities will constantly be added.
- Brandeis University: January 25 | Levin Ballroom, USDAN | 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Bryn Mawr College: January 26 | Dalton Hall, Room 25 | 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Sewanee: The University of the South: January 26 | Dining Hall Balcony | 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Grand Valley State University: January 30 | Kirkhof Center | 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Yale University: February 13 | 55 Whitney Avenue, Room 305 | 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- DePauw University: February 14 | Hoover Hall | 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- George Washington University: February 15 | Office of Study Abroad | 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Colorado State University: February 16 | Lory Student Center | 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Swarthmore College: February 16 | Clothier Alcove | 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
- Southern Methodist University: February 17 | Place TBD | 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Princeton University: February 22 | Simpson International Building, Room 301 | 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's College of California: February 22 | Dryden Hall | 12:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- DePaul University: February 24 | Place TBC | 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Amherst College: February 28 | Keefe Campus Center Atrium | 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Bard College: March 7 | Campus Center | 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Don't see your university listed? Contact us to schedule a visit!
APA welcomes a new board member
Academic Programs Abroad has added a new member to their advisory board. Natalie Friedman, Dean of Studies and Dean for the Senior Class of Barnard College, will be joining the seven-member committee after unanimous approval. The APA Paris staff regularly consults with the board on academic guidelines as well as the criteria for student acceptance into the programs.
"The invaluable insight that Natalie brings to the advisory committee will be instrumental in APA's future." said Marketing Manager Monika Markley. "The US and Paris staff are thrilled with this addition to the board and are looking forward to Natalie's contributions."
Friedman will be the first alumni of APA Paris to join the advisory board. Having first hand knowledge of the student experience will provide a viewpoint that has been missing from the current collection of members.
STARTING SPRING 2017
APA opens a second program
You can make your dreams of studying in Paris a reality, even if you have only studied French for 2 or 3 semesters.
In short, APA offers a fully immersive program for students looking to challenge themselves by taking the courses of their choosing (in-house or at a partner institution), with the opportunity to receive exceptional academic and language support.
All courses receive full academic support to ensure success: methodology workshops, tutoring and proofreading sessions, as needed as well as our “cours complémentaire”, when applicable.
and may, if they chose, take all 4 (or 5) courses from the vast selection available at our Paris partner institutions.
- Political Challenges in France, with included study tour to Brussels or Strasbourg
- French Painting and Sculpture in the XIX Century (Fall semester) or XX Century (Spring semester), with included study tour to London and Barcelona
Students also have the option of doing a directed or independent study as their 4th course.
If deemed necessary for the student, this course is designed to ensure success in university level classes. The class is taken in place of 1 French university course.
- Taking their 3 other classes at our French partner institutions OR
- Taking 2 French university courses and 1 of the APA inhouse elective classes
STARTING FALL 2016
APA Immersion By Design
Announcing exciting changes to
our core academic program
Over the recent years, we have considered the changes happening in the field of Education Abroad and decided to update the way we run the academic portion of our program. The modifications will make APA even more flexible for its students in terms of the courses they take abroad.
Starting Fall semester 2016, the APA academic program will consist of the following adjustments:
Good News from CampusFrance!
To further ensure that the visa application process goes smoothly and painlessly for our students, we have successfully entered an agreement with CampusFrance that allows us to perform batch processing for the first step of the visa process!
This allows us to send in all of our students’ CampusFrance information at once. Also, for US citizens from certain regions of the US, it also means that they will not need to visit the French Consulate in person as a similar agreement has been made for the second step of the visa process. More information to follow! Although our new students may not know the difference, this comes as a relief to those of us who know the old, cumbersome way!